Cornbread & Poppy at the Carnival (Cornbread and Poppy #2) (Paperback)
On Our Shelves Now
The second entry in Caldecott medalist Matthew Cordell's early reader series about two best friends who are as different from each other as can be.
Poppy LOVES scary movies. Cornbread does not. Poppy ADORES runny cheese. Cornbread does not. Poppy can't WAIT to try a roller coaster. Cornbread...can. But Cornbread and Poppy are the best of friends, so when the Carnival rolls into town, Cornbread agrees to check it out. Their day promises to include fun games, yummy snacks, and big, big rides. What new things will these mice try? Celebrating both partnership and the value of what makes us individuals, young readers will find this classic odd couple irresistible as they encounter relatable issues with humor and heart.
Publishing simultaneously in hardcover and paperback.
About the Author
Matthew Cordell has illustrated many books for children including works of poetry, novels, and picture books, like Bob, Not Bob!, Leaps and Bounce, and Rooting for You! He has also created numerous picture books himself including Hope; Wish; Dream; Hello, Neighbor! The Kind and Caring World of Mister Rogers; Bear Island; and Wolf in the Snow, which was awarded the 2018 Caldecott Medal. Matthew lives in suburban Chicago with his wife, author, Julie Halpern, and their two children.
Praise for the Cornbread & Poppy series:
* "The lively ink-and-watercolor illustrations deftly create settings and clearly reveal characters’ emotions. A rewarding choice for young readers."—Booklist, starred review
* "Cornbread and Poppy are endearing characters, poised to join the ranks of other memorable early reader sets of best friends old and new, including James Marshall's George and Martha."—Bookpage, starred review
* “Cordell’s pen-and-ink and watercolor illustrations are textured and appealing, supporting the texts and illuminating vocabulary that might be out of sight-word range for new readers building fluency."—Horn Book, starred review
* "Cordell’s trademark loose artwork, rendered in pen and ink with watercolor, is energetic and wonderfully captures gray Cornbread’s and tan Poppy’s activities, easy camaraderie, and expressive faces.... Delightful."—Kirkus, starred review
* "Cordell’s loose, Steig-like ink line makes emotions easy to read as the duo’s interplay builds.... Their well-built adventure…offers exertion, discouragement, and a wonderfully improbable change of fortune."—Publishers Weekly, starred review
“Brimming with imagination, energy, and wit. Just right for young readers.”
"Cordell’s charming pen-and-ink illustrations with watercolor lend a feeling of coziness to this tale of friends who are different. Short sentences and repetition of key phrases make the story easy to follow for those transitioning to early chapter books…A perfect choice for fans of Jacqueline Davies’s 'Sydney and Taylor' series, and other dynamic duos."—School Library Journal
“Into the society of [Frog and Toad, George and Martha, and Bink and Gollie] we can now welcome two mice, one prudent and the other cavalier…. [Beginning] with an Aesop-like predicament…Mr. Cordell’s humorous watercolor-dappled ink drawings keep things buoyant as Cornbread and Poppy bundle up and venture off—at which point their story takes a contemporary turn.”—The Wall Street Journal
“Frog and Toad vibes are strong in this new early reader series about two mice who are best friends...Illustrated in muted pastels that reflect the season, the three short chapters pack in a lot of adventure…”—Parents
"Pair of Mice Find Friendship Very Nice"
—The Florida-Times Union
“This sweet friendship book by Caldecott Medalist Matthew Cordell reminds me of books I loved reading with my kids when they were younger.”—Book Riot
“…perfect for young readers ready to move beyond picture books. It captures the importance of individuality and of stepping out of your comfort zone, with a friend who understands that it can be scary sometimes. Even adults will enjoy reading along…”
A Kirkus Best of Middle Grade pick for 2022
A Horn Book 2022 Summer Reading List pick
An Amazon Best Books of the Year for Ages 6-8 for 2022
An Indie Bound Bestseller
A Chicago Public Library Best Fiction for Younger Readers for 2022 pick
An ABA’s 2022 Best Book For Young Readers Catalog pick
A Tiny Beans Best New Chapter Books for Kids of 2022
A Connecticut Nutmeg Award nominee
A Cybils Award finalist
A Nerdy Book Club Best of 2022 pick
A School Library Journal Early Chapter Book List pick